The report of 1871 by the School Board on Education
facilities in Shelley at that time gives the C.of E. school
three rooms, one 13ft by 12ft, one 18ft by 18ft and a
larger one 38ft by 13ft, and it is difficult to fit these sizes
into the present building.
Going back to George Bedford, the 1861 census shows
him still in the school house with his five children,
three boarders and the same servant but, before the 1871 Return, George had died.
His widow moved down Woodhouse Lane, to the first house on the left past the church (Laburnum Cottage), and there she and her two unmarried daughters tried to establish a Boarding and Day School. Mary Coldwell, servant, was still with them.